Sunday 29 June 2014

Shame

I don't watch TV, so it was news to me that Dove has changed their campaign to apparently insinuate that any body shape is fine. Even, so I'm told, to make thin unpopular.
Don't get me wrong - I am all for accepting that most women are size 14 or larger, and debunking the myth that thin thighs and large breasts is the only look going.
BUT. 
But this backlash is going too far. Instead of finding ways to clean up our health, we are instead working around our fat, making it okay. We build bigger seats, use vanity sizing (calling a size 16 a size 12), and now I hear that there is such a thing as 'skinny shaming'. Girls and women with normal bodies are being attacked for NOT being fat!
Besides the backwardness of this, my concern is about the health of our young women. Type 2 diabetes is no longer called adult-onset because 10 year olds are developing it. Obesity in youth is a huge issue, and I know from experience that they are setting themselves up for either a lifetime of fighting the fat, like myself, or a miserable, unhealthy existence topped off by a horrible, painful death.
I don't know how to get an entire continent off sugar. But I do know this - we have to do something soon or we will certainly start to see children dying before their parents. And it's preventable!

No comments:

Post a Comment