Sunday 17 August 2014

No Limits

I was working on the squat press yesterday when a member came over and asked me "What's the highest number of plates you've done?" (45 lb plates)
I answered, truthfully, twenty. Yes, 900 pounds, plus an estimated 50 - 60 pounds for the weight of the apparatus. 
She was blown away. Her trainer had her up to 270 and she thought that was extreme. I assured her it was not.
What I learned from my trainer and my own journey, is that women underestimate our strengths, as does society at large.
 I have been accused of using steroids in the past to achieve some of my heaviest weights and my physique. (I have not, and would not EVER cheat like that and destroy my body in the process.)
I told the woman "Don't let yourself be limited by conventional wisdom or 'science'. 
The human body is capable of feats previously thought impossible, and now that it is common for women to weight train, we're killing it and proving a lot of people wrong.
For example, a new client asked me, "is it true that women can't do chin-ups?" To answer I did a chin-up right then and said      "No."
I'm not saying every woman should go out today and try for chin-ups and 900-pound squat presses, especially without proper progression, but don't let anyone convince you that you can't do something because you're a woman. 
The weaker sex? I think not.


No comments:

Post a Comment