Thursday 20 March 2014

Cyclist, Not Psycho!

Some people call me crazy because I cycle all winter. It's not that I love winter riding - I don't. But I do hate taking transit, and I don't drive. I'm smart about it. I have two sets of lights and all kinds of reflective gear, and I don't ride through snowstorms if I can help it.
I think I'm a careful cyclist. I have a rear view mirror and I try to be predictable; riding in a straight line a few feet from the curb if there's no bike lane. And STILL, I am honked at, sworn at, and given the middle finger on a nearly daily basis.
What gives? Am I any more 'in the way' than I would be in a car? If we counted how many cyclists there are in this city and added that many cars on the road, I truly think traffic would be much worse. Cycling is Eco-friendly, great exercise, and often faster than transit.
I know there are some cyclists who give us all a bad name, dodging in and out of traffic and so on, but most of us, for the sake of our own safety, try not to be stupid.
So give us a break! Read your driver's manual and learn the rules concerning cyclists, and maybe don't risk our lives to save 10 seconds.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment