Tuesday 18 March 2014

Hippy Hippy Shake

Do you have lower back pain? I did. For three and a half years I suffered, annoying my doctor with repeated requests for various exams. I even took part in a back pain study, where I finally got an answer. It was my tight hips; specifically my TFL and psoas muscles. I cycle year-round, and I had developed the habit of sitting cross- legged. In fact, sitting in general can cause this issue. And we are a society of sitters - in cars, at desks, on buses - we sit WAY too much.
So get up off your butt and stretch! The classic quad stretch works on the psoas, as does a runner's lunge, and for the TFL, a spinal twist. These are both yoga moves, which should be held for a minimum of 1 minute, but as many as five.
If you have mysterious lower back pain, try these stretches - I hope they help!

No comments:

Post a Comment