Saturday 29 March 2014

The Human Machine

I just watched a Ted Talk by Hugh Kerr. He lost both legs to frostbite while climbing, and now has the most amazing bionic legs I have ever seen - they appeared to move as normal human legs.
Cool! I am all for ending disability, but what I took issue with is his prediction that in the future, we will all be wearing bionic exoskeletons to enhance human experience.
Maybe I'm biased, but I think we should try to make our natural human bodies work as well as possible by natural methods. The human machine is a miracle, and I think, if anything is 'lacking', it's because we misuse it. 
We don't even understand it yet, and I feel as though trying to improve it may lead us down the same path as GMO foods. That seemed like a good idea at the time, but now we're saddled with the unforeseen consequences of messing with nature when we didn't really need to in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment