Sunday 16 March 2014

The Personal in Personal Training

Yesterday I got my hair cut. My stylist, Shannon, has lost over 100 pounds in the past few years and has become a bit of a fitness junkie. She takes classes, but says she's never pursued personal training because it seems to her that the trainers at her gym spend a lot of time chatting with clients.
I can see why this would be off putting, and maybe the trainers at her gym are lazy. BUT there could be something else going on. I told her that not every client needs a butt kicking. I have many clients with serious conditions or injuries. I don't put these people through intensive bodybuilding or cardio circuits, because my mantra is 'do no harm'. I have heard far too many stories about clients injured by over zealous trainers. I use yoga and Pilates for some clients because their goal may be to improve balance and flexibility. I also employ fascial release techniques and facilitated stretching with nearly every client because EVERYONE sits too much. Some people just want to maintain their level of fitness. And, honestly, some just need an objective sounding board and can afford to pay someone to make a necessary hour more pleasant.
One more thing - if you've noticed a trainer working with a client for a time and they don't seem to be improving, understand that we cannot control what a client does when they're not with us. I give homework and programs to be done on days when we are not together, but I cannot force people to do them. Like the woman who said to me 'Why am I not leaner? That's what I pay you for!', some seem to think having a trainer should work like a magic pill. But if I tell you you can't drink 3 glasses of wine every night and you do, is it my fault you aren't losing weight? I fired that client, incidentally, and she is now making life hell for another trainer😈

No comments:

Post a Comment