Monday 28 April 2014

Fascia Television

'Posture is a manifestation of emotion.'
This quote came from the woman who taught a course in myofascial release techniques that I took with some colleagues last fall. 
Fascia is in fashion - at last! It's a connective tissue that surrounds every cell, every muscle spindle - every part of our bodies. It holds us together. And it's very sensitive to emotion. 
For me, my aches and pains are largely due to fascial tightness or spasms. I have a sensitive nervous system, and if I don't face and deal with emotions, I end up with physical problems. Backaches, kinks in my neck - the list goes on. 
Yoga is excellent for releasing fascia, especially yin/yang hot yoga. I often finish these classes in tears - but I don't feel sad, I feel relieved, lighter. 
We, as a society, try to bury our emotions and hide from our problems. It doesn't work. You either end up like me, with mysterious physical issues, or you take it out on the world. 
I'm not saying you should honour every emotion as it arises because this would be inappropriate. But journaling, talking it over, and some physical release will go a long way. You have to take care of your body AND soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment