Sunday 27 April 2014

Mind Games

"You're crazy! I can't do that!"
I cannot tell you how many times I hear this from clients.
"Just try," I tell them, and 95% of the time, they can do whatever it is I've instructed.
I have noticed that many people - women and gay men in particular are apt to underestimate themselves when it comes to training. It's as if they've bought into the myth that we must be weak and/or inferior.  We tend, also, to notice what's negative - what we don't like about ourselves, what we don't have or can't do.
So I've taken on another role, both in my work and in life - that of cheerleader. Focus on what you can do, what you do have, and life becomes sweeter.
It takes a little practice, but work at it, and you may find you're patting yourself on the back more often, and celebrating little victories. And if you come upon something you can't do, make it a goal and develop a plan to get there.
We are more powerful than we realize, but only if we tap the most important muscle of all - the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment