Wednesday 16 April 2014

Hard Work or Hospital?

One of the other trainers at my gym asked me today, 'What do you think of CrossFit?'.
"You mean besides the fact that it's killing people?" I asked. 
We laughed, but it's true. People are ending up in the hospital with a potentially fatal kidney disease called rhabdomyolosis. Look it up. 
Others are simply hurting themselves, trying to get more reps per set, regardless of form. 
Intense circuit training is fantastic -  I do it myself. But I know how to do the exercises properly, and I know when to stop and rest.
Once again, we have a fitness fad that people are lining up for without really knowing the facts, and people are getting hurt in their rush to get fit.
My advice is this - let any new fad sit for six months or a year first. If it stands the test of time, get some training and go ahead and try it.
How many times have we seen the next great machine (vibration plates, for example) or stylish new regime promising to get us fit fast, or even better, with no effort? 
So far, I believe we are still waiting for the miracle that will replace good old-fashioned hard work and clean eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment